Did you know that a typical employer/recruiter spends just 6 seconds to go through a resume to assess whether or not it’s worth an inspection? Therefore, you must make your resume good enough considering it is a matter of seconds to impress them. Look at the following list and avoid making these 6 mistakes while composing your resume:
- Never mention an unsuitable email address such as firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Also refrain from including accounts that are sexual or offensive in nature.
- Best practice is to not give out numerous phone numbers. This is important in order to avoid confusion and also to not miss out any message or call from a probable employer/company.
- Do not include personal details such as religious beliefs, marital status, or hobbies. However, if your leisure activities have a direct connection with your prospective job, you can mention them. Being too honest can affect your career.
- Do not decorate your resume with images, graphics and embedded tables as it can mess up your resume if the employer uses an ATS system (applicant tracking system).
- Avoid the usage of funky fonts and colors in your resume. The best ones to use are Franklin Gothic, Ebrima, Arial, Cambria, Garamond, or Book Antiqua as they are compatible with ATS systems and easily readable.
- Mentioning the salary history is a big no-no while writing your resume. Not only it is pointless; employers may get a wrong message as a result. Always keep in mind that a resume is a unique channel through which you broadcast your skills and value – not a way to tell your ‘cost’ to the company.
Remember that your resume is the first ‘meeting’ between you and your prospective employer. Therefore, you should avoid making any off-putting mistakes to have a later ‘face-to-face encounter’.
About CaliberVantage – All-In-One Human Capital Development and Optimization Platform:
As we pass on CaliberVantage message to more organizations, our mission is intact: to make talent development absurdly easy while creating equal opportunity for everyone.
Fabricated on tried and recognized talent development practices at world’s most prized organizations, CaliberVantage empowers, every:
- Individual to take full advantage of his/her abilities
- Organization to attract, develops, motivate, and retain prolific employees to meet its strategic and operational goals and objectives
- Society to progress its human capital at the basic level for the accomplishment and upkeep of a economical advantage to realize its full economic potential